Tips From the Pros
How do you know when it is time to have your brakes repaired? If you wait too long to fix your brakes additional damage can be caused. Brake inspections and repairs are expertly done by ASE Certified technicians at Transportation Repair, located in Logan, Utah.
Indicators that Your Brakes May Need to be Fixed
Brake pads typically last 40,000 miles, but some cars need replacements at 25,000 miles while others need them at 60,000 miles. The make and model of a car coupled with an owner’s driving style can directly influence the lifespan of the brakes. Common warning signs for brake problems include:
- Noise – noises such as squealing, squeaking and deep grinding metal sounds, coming from your brakes, may mean that you need to replace your brake pads (especially if you hear the deep, grinding metal sound).
- Indicator Light Is On – This can often be triggered by a brake pad sensor; a professional can tell you how long you have until your brakes need to be replaced.
- Vibrations from the Brake Pedal – vibrations are dangerous and if you notice that your car feels unsteady or vibrates when you press the pedal down it may not be safe to drive.
- Brake Pads Are Too Thin – if you look at your brake pads and they are less than ¼ thick, you will need to replace them soon.
- Soft Brake Pedal – fluids may be leaking from the master cylinder or elsewhere.
- Spongy or Mushy Feeling when Braking – if the pedal feels too soft or sinks all the way down, there might be moisture in the braking system, which requires immediate service.
- Car Pulls to One Side when Braking – this could be due to a bad brake hose or caliper problem.
- Sharp, Chemical Smell While Driving – if you are on a steep road and you notice a strange smell, it could be a sign of overheated brakes or clutch. If you continue to drive and the fluid begins to boil your brakes might fail.
- Car Bounces With A Sudden Stop – bouncing may mean that you need to add more brake fluid or check your shocks.
Tips To Extend the Life of Your Brake Pads
- Slow Down
- Don’t Ride Your Brakes
- Lighten the Weight Load in Your Car
- Take Your Foot Off of the Accelerator if you know you will soon have to stop
Brake Repair Services To The Rescue
Brake repairs can be quickly and conveniently done at Transportation Repairs, in Logan, Utah. If you notice any warning signs, have your brake system checked today!